Sunday, November 13, 2016

My Favorite Teacher

This week, I will be using my post to talk about my favorite teacher. I have had many teachers throughout my educational career, but my freshman year Environmental Geoscience teacher was by far my favorite. I was a young timid freshman who was scared to raise her hand in class, and at the end of the year my hand went up almost every question. My teacher’s name was Mr. Wurth. He was middle aged, and had previously been an environmental lawyer, but then decided that teaching was his true passion.

Mr. Wurth loved his students. At the beginning of each year he would pride himself in memorizing each of their names and faces by the second day of school. He would build both professional and personal relationships with everybody and took the time to get to know his students, not just grade their work. I became very close with Mr. Wurth because he attended the college that I have been a born and raised fan of. He quickly began to learn about my family and extracurriculars and took the time to check up on me on occasion.

Not only was Mr. Wurth so personable, but he was an amazing teacher. He had the most unique teaching style I’ve ever been taught under. He engages the class with wild stories all pertaining to the subject he is teaching. These stories are so unique and interesting that to this day I still remember them. His astronomy lessons blew me away with how much he put the Earth into perspective and how much he knew about the subject. I never once felt bored in the class and I looked forward to going to it every day. When a teacher makes their students excited to learn, that’s when you know they’re doing something right.

To this day I still visit Mr. Wurth whenever I am at the school and occasionally email him about football updates. He made a huge impact on my life as a freshman in highschool and even though he was a Geoscience teacher, he taught me more about myself as a student than any teacher has ever had.


-Jenna

No comments:

Post a Comment